Your car is your personal property, which is why some people think home insurance coverage should pay when their cars get damaged in their driveways. Unfortunately, you should only expect full compensation from your car insurance company. There are just a few cases where the home insurer may step in.                                                                                                                                                          

The Ownership of the Car

The ownership determines whether the insurance picks up the tab for the repairs. Homeowners insurance coverage usually pays when other people's property get damaged in your home. Therefore, if the car belonged to a visitor to your home, your insurance company will probably pay for its repair. However, don't expect any reimbursement from your home insurance company if you own the damaged car.

The Nature of the Damages

If you own the car, then the exact damages you have suffered also matters. There are generally two types of damages you are likely to suffer if your car is vandalized. One is the damage to the car itself and the other is the damage to your personal belongings in the car. Homeowners insurance usually cover personal belongings whether they are in the house or outside the home. Therefore, you may be reimbursed for the damages caused to your personal belongings in the car. However, don't expect reimbursement for the damages the vandals meted out on the car itself.

The Wording in Your Policy

The exact wording of your policy also matters. This is necessary since some policies are worded in such a way that your personal belongings are only fully protected if they are damaged in your home; items outside the home typically get low coverage limits. In such a case, your policy's wording determines whether the items in the car in your parked car are outside the home of in the home. This means it determines how much you can recover for such items.

How You Use Your Car

Lastly, there are limited situations in which an insurance company may treat your car as an extension of your home. This may be the case, for example, if you have been keeping some of your house furnishings and accessories in your car. In such a case, your home insurance coverage may pay for the damaged accessories and furnishings.

In short, get comprehensive auto insurance if you want full coverage for your car. Your home insurance coverage is meant for your home and its contents, and not your car. This is why it won't pay for damages to your car even though the car is your personal property. For more information, visit a website like