Needing SR22 insurance is not something you have a choice about. If you received a major traffic violation, such as a DUI, or obtained way too many driving violations, your local Driver Motor Vehicle (DMV) will require this. When you receive the notification, you better rush and find coverage, because you will not have a long period of time to do this. Here are several things you should realize as you prepare to get coverage.

You Need it Even if You Do Not Plan on Driving

Suppose you do not think you will be driving anytime in the near future, or suppose you do not own a car. Will you still need coverage? Yes. It does not matter if you want to drive or not right now, you will need the coverage. You will need the coverage for as long as you are told to have it, which is usually three years, and you will not be able to drive legally without it until you have completed this special type of policy for the full three years.

If you do not own a car, your insurance company will give you a policy called non-owner SR22 insurance. This policy will be sufficient for the DMV requirement, yet you will not be insuring a particular vehicle. This policy will simply provide the requirement you need, and it will provide coverage to anyone you may get in an accident with (if you are at fault).

Your Insurance Company Communicates with the DMV

The second thing to realize is that there will be communication between your insurance company and the DMV. This will start off when you obtain your SR22 insurance policy. Your insurance company will give you a Form SR-22 that you must bring to the DMV. When the DMV gets this, they will post the information into their computer system under your name. This will prevent you from losing your license.

In addition, the insurance company will communicate with the DMV if you fail to make a payment on your policy. If you are a day late, they may not notify the DMV, but you can expect them to notify the organization if your policy lapses. They do this because it is a requirement for them. When an insurance company gives you this type of coverage, they are agreeing to keep the DMV notified of policy lapses.

When this happens, the insurance company will prepare a Form SR-26 and will send it to the DMV. When the DMV receives the letter, they will immediately suspend your driver's license.

Your Policy Must Be Continuous for Three Full Years

Most people are required to carry SR22 insurance for three full years, but many people do not realize that this means three continuous years. In other words, you must have coverage for 1,095 (365 days times three years) days consecutively. If you have it for 1,094 days and allow the policy to lapse, your entire three-year period will begin all over again.

Allowing your policy to lapse could be a huge setback in your life, which is why you should make sure you pay your insurance bills on time. If possible, pay the entire one-year bill all at once. If you do this three years in a row, you will have completed your three-year requirement and may be able to drop the SR22 coverage at that point.

SR22 can cost more than regular auto insurance, but you can try to save money by shopping around for a policy. To do this or learn more about your options, visit resources like or speak with local insurance providers.